We will then review proper cleaning techniques to ensure microbial and allergen residue removal. Attendees will learn about the chemicals used in industrial cleaning and sanitation and how to protect themselves against harmful exposure and accidents.
Why should you attend: The industry has come a long way since the turn of the century, when the poor sanitation practices of many food manufacturing facilities was exposed. Recent events have highlighted the need for even better sanitation. The population has become decidedly more vulnerable and exposed to food borne illnesses linked to manufacturers.
The FDA cited Sunland Inc, the firm that manufactured various nut products recalled this year, for numerous sanitation violations. Failure to properly clean equipment and subsequent salmonella contamination of product resulted in a very poor outcome for this facility. Poor sanitation can also result in allergen cross contamination. Understanding where there are “dead ends” in product flow and difficult to clean areas is important for sanitation personnel to be aware of. What types of cleaning chemicals remove the various types of soils unique to each industry is also critical for an effective sanitation program. Very basic sanitation concepts and practices can make a big difference.
Course Modules & Content Details:
- Cleaning and Sanitation practices specific to various areas of the manufacturing environment and the resultant risks
- Types of soils and cleaning chemicals based on the properties of each
- Results of exposure to hazardous chemicals, how to read labels and maintain chemical safety.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Scope of Cleaning and Sanitation
- Sanitation Regulations and Best Practices
- Chemical Safety
- Self Assessment
Who Will Benefit:
- Food Manufacturing employees at all levels, especially sanitation and operations/production team members
- Auditors who review facilities quality assurance programs
- Customers who want to understand best practices that they should require of their suppliers will benefit